Skip to content

Tebow….Obnoxious or Right On?

December 2, 2011

Even if you’re a grandma that doesn’t watch football, you have probably heard the name Tim Tebow.  And chances are, you have heard more about his “obnoxious” faith than his football playing ability.  The statement by Jake Plummer represents what many people (especially the media) think about Tebow.  Tebow’s faith has been mocked by football fans, players and the media.  “Tebowing” has even made its way to UrbanDictionary.com.

Is this just media trying to take a stab at Christianity or is Tebow being a little “over the top”?

I’m curious, what do you think?

Is Tebow being obnoxious with his faith or right on?

About these ads
9 Comments leave one →
  1. Jason permalink
    December 2, 2011 7:49 pm

I think that people are so desperate to dig up any dirt on Tebow that they have resorted to mockery. He has been squeaky clean his entire career and is as much of a stand up guy on and off of the field that you will ever find. If you think back to when Jesus was on earth, his critics found nothing bad against him, so the made stuff up and spread rumors and made false criticisms against him. The fact is that the media and Tebow bashers said that he couldn’t be successful and he is proving them wrong. They are too arrogant to admit that they have been proved wrong, so now they are throwing cheap shots. Every great leader faces critics and Tim Tebow has handled it with class. I am a fan of both the football player and the man.

2. Alex Foltz permalink
    December 2, 2011 10:04 pm

I I don’t know where Plummer actually stands in his religious beliefs. To be honest, he did not say anything against Christianity, just that he wishes Tebow would cut back on putting his faith out so much.
    I think what Plummer said mostly came from frustration. Most of the media criticism I hear about Tebow does NOT have to do with his faith, it has to do with his QB skills, which are very subpar. I think a lot of people hate seeing a guy succeed that is pretty much the opposite of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, who are great technical passers. It baffles people that someone with such weak skills can win, but he does. Honestly, John Fox(Denver Head Coach) has made the right choice to make Tebow the leader and QB, because they have been winning.
    Personally, I hope they keep winning. I love that Tebow honestly and truly gives God the credit for his success and you can’t help but think that God keeps giving him success because of it. The more Tebow wins, the more he honors God, and the more people hear about what he has done in Tim’s life.

When he started in the NFL, I was not a fan(and I hated him in college because he twice beat my Buckeyes), but now there is no one I’m rooting for more.

3. December 3, 2011 5:40 pm

Jason…you are right! Tebow is handling it with class. His response to Plummer was brilliant. He put it in a way everyone can understand. I love Skips response to Tebow’s explanation….”That’s very well said!”

Alex…I’m becoming a number one supporter too!

4. Jeremiah Bear permalink
    December 4, 2011 12:01 am

“If you have a wife, are just going to tell you love on the day you get married? Or are you going to tell her every minute of every day?” #doneanddone

(May not be an exact quote, but leave me alone. You guys get it!)

5. December 4, 2011 8:02 am

#doneanddone :)

6. Jason2 permalink
    December 5, 2011 5:26 pm

Well, the question is do you think God is pulling the strings of NFL games, or do you just think he gave Tebow the talent he uses in NFL games?

The former, to me, is a completely nonsensical concept, so Tebowing after individual plays is just plain silly. You also see it 40 times per NBA and MLB game.

The latter would just seem to suggest he should have a general gratitude toward God, which most people would express occasionally in a relevant context, rather than habitually like a nervous tick.

7. December 6, 2011 7:34 am

God rooting for a certain team is nonsensical. (One thing I remind my student athletes often. Quit praying you will win!)

He gave his reasoning pretty clearly in the video posted. My question is…will he still be grateful for his ability/skills when they lose? If not, then I have a problem. But for now, I agree with this Fox Sports article..the problem is us and I just like the idea of a professional athlete not being focused on self.

8. MILK permalink
    December 16, 2011 8:27 pm

The man having faith in his higher-power is a wonderful thing! HOWEVER, keep your religion to youself and above all, DON’T jam it down my kids throat!! I want NFL football action not Falwel bullshit!

9. December 19, 2011 8:55 am

I don’t put Tebow and Falwel in the same category. I think Tebow has done a great of just expressing his faith and not jamming it down anyone’s throat.

What are your thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 535 other followers